Thursday, September 10, 2009

WE SUPPORT LOCAL DESIGNERS: CHRISTINA FITZPATRICK




CHRISTINA FITZPATRICK IS A LOCAL FASHION DESIGNER, ORIGINALLY FROM NEW JERSEY, WHO IS TAKING UP FASHION DESIGN AT FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY. SHE HAS BEEN DESIGNING FOR TWO YEARS. NOT ONLY IS SHE INTO FASHION DESIGNING, BUT SHE ALSO DESIGNS JEWELRY. SHE IS CURRENTLY DESIGNING DRESSES FOR MISS BLACK TALLHASSEE. SHE GIVES 850LIVE HER THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT SHE'S LEARNED WORKING IN FASHION.


"I like to say that fashion is a whole other language. The creative process and skills it requires to train your brain take many years to master. I honestly did not think Designing was going to be so much work! First, you must envision your design and go through, in your head, how the entire garment must be constructed. Then, you sketch it out on paper, adding all the construction details. After that, you must create the pattern for the garment, which requires a whole lot of measuring, angles, and very meticulous work. You must be very good at math and be very precise, otherwise, your garment will not fit properly, or major glitches could occur. Next, comes pinning the pattern pieces onto fabric and cutting it out. Some even choose to do what is called a “Muslin”, a pre-fashion fabric garment of your design to make sure everything fits correctly. Lastly, you must sew the garment together, which also takes great knowledge and skill. I have been learning something new every day! I have been involved in numerous fashion shows, had articles in a lot of magazines, worked as a Stylist, and have been asked to sell my designs at many events around Tallahassee. Along with my garments, I also have a jewelry line that debuted in July 2009. Jewelry is quite different than designing clothes; however, it requires the same amount of creativity. I love experimenting with all different kinds of beads, jewels, metals, stones, and more! I am currently working on my Fall 2009 line that will be debuting probably in late October. I am working hard and am so excited! The overall style of this line is going to be very chic and put together. I want everything to be tailored and constructed perfectly to convey my quality clothing and a sense of confidence. It is extremely classy and sophisticated all in one! I would definitely say that the best feeling comes when you finish a whole piece, when you see it walk down the runway, or if you have a client, when their face lights up in awe! One of my clients at the moment is Miss Black Tallahassee and I am designing dresses for her social and political events and also for her portfolio. I have been getting that expression from her and it feels amazing. Above all, passion is key. Follow your heart and what you love doing, and let your creative juices flow!If you need a garment or jewelry for an event, a Stylist, or even wall art for your room feel free to contact me. God has gifted me in many artistic things!"

CONTACT INFO: CMF08C@FSU.EDU

No comments:

Post a Comment